Born: April 8, 1948
Birthplace: Den Haag, the Netherlands
MSc (doctoraalexamen): April 24, 1974 at the University
of Amsterdam: Geology, with major in Stratigraphy and minor
PhD Thesis: A catastrophic event at
the Cretaceous-Tertiary Boundary:
May 11, 1981 (cum laude) of the University of Amsterdam
- Assistant researcher at Geological Institute, University of
Amsterdam, May 1974- January 1978 and January 1981 - May
- Post-doctoral researcher sponsored by a fellowship from
Z.W.O., the Netherlands organization for Pure Scientific Research.
Geological Institute, University of Amsterdam, June 1981 - June
- Visiting assistant Professor of Geology, CALTECH October 1983 -
- Post-doctoral researcher, Institute of Geophysics and
Planetary Physics, University of California at Los Angeles, UCLA. January 1984 - July 1985.
- Lecturer Paleontology, Department of Earth and Space Sciences,
UCLA, September 1984 - June 1985.
- Assistant research fellow Chemostratigraphy, Department of
sedimentary Geology, VU University Amsterdam. January 1986 - December 1988.
- Research Fellow of the Koninklijke Academie van Wetenschappen
(KNAW). January 1989 - December 1993.
- Academic Researcher and lecturer Paleontology, VU University Amsterdam. January 1994 - August 2003.
Miller Research Professorship, dept. Geology and Geophysics,
University of California, Berkeley 1995
- Professor Event Stratigraphy, Department of Sedimentary
Geology, VU University Amsterdam, September 2003-2013
and other involvements
- Barringer medal 2012 of the Meteoritical Society, sponsored by the Barringer company
- National Academy of Sciences Mary
Clark Thompson Medal 1999
- AKZO-Science prize
- Member of the Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences (KNAW)
- Co-Chief scientist ("Principal Investigator") of the Chicxulub Scientific Drilling Project, a project of the International Continental scientific Drilling Program ICDP
- Participant ODP legs 121 (Indian Ocean) and 171B (Blake Nose,
National Academy of Sciences symposium "Frontiers of Science",
Irvine, California, 1991.
- Member of: European
Geosciences Union (EGU), Geological Society of America,
American Geophysical Union.
- former Member of the Council of the Royal Geological and
Mining Society of the Netherlands - KNGMG
- past President
of the division Sedimentology, stratigraphy and Paleontology
Geosciences Union (EGU)
- 1988-2004 member editorial board
biology, 1988-1998 member editorial board Cretaceous Research
- Associated member of the
coördination committee of the ESF-network: Impact cratering
and the Evolution of Planet Earth
Bibliography in EndNote